DIVINE MERCY PARISH
Social Concerns Committee Mission Statement
The Mission of the Social Concerns Committee of Divine Mercy Parish is:
- To fulfill our mission as Disciples of Christ through prayers, words, deeds with the utmost compassion for the poor and needy.
- To embrace the challenges of inequality in our community with a desire to improve the quality of life and dignity of others.
- To respond faithfully to the needs of individuals by fostering communication, education, advocacy and action on social justice issues.
- The social justice teaching of the Catholic Church is rooted in Holy Scripture, which calls the people of God to lives of charity, justice and mercy, compassion and hope, solidarity and peace. Mindful of this, we will strive to achieve the following goals:
- Enlighten and empower our faith community through various resources; speakers, videos, printed material, additions to the bulletin of quotes from Papal Encyclicals published exclusively about social justice issues, immigration issues, poverty and workers’ rights;
- Collaborate with neighboring parishes, government officials and other community resources;
- Letter writing campaigns supporting openness to life and reform of the immigration system;
- Expand awareness of basic needs in the local community as well as universal needs.
RESOURCES: Catholic Social Services, Head Start, Local Educational Leaders, St. Joseph’s Women and Infant Services and/or additional resources.
CAMPUS MINISTRY TRIPS
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS WHO ARE ACTIVE PARISHIONERS OF DIVINE MERCY WITH MISSION TRIPS SPONSORED BY THEIR UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE. DETAILED INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE PARISH WEBSITE. Go to Church Forms to download the Application and Information.